Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The sad, sad story of my iBook

Last Wednesday night I came home ready to write. Bleed out the words that were filling up the space in my head. Desperate to share. I as per usual went down to my office, flipped open the lid of my trusty iBook.. and nothing. At first I thought I had turned it off the evening before, rather than put it to sleep. I checked and the little button that flashes when your computer is sleeping was... flashing. So I tried again. Nothing.

I hard shut it down, pray to the computer gods to let it work. Again nothing, but I could faintly see the desktop image in the back ground. I tried adjusting the brightness, nothing. I sat with head in hands trying to remember what I did the night before. It seems I did nothing out of the ordinary, nothing unusual. What the hell is going on.

Flash: I'm the girl who buys the shelf, that's missing the screw to hold it up. If one out of a million iBooks had a faulty screen, I would be the one who bought it. If I try to set up an appointment with someone, the time they are free I'm not. If I need a size 8.5, it's the only one sold out. That's just how the cookie crumbles with me and yes I usually end up with the bag of cookies that are crumbled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it's just how is goes.

When I dropped off my computer, I begged and pleaded to have it back by Monday, I also begged and pleaded that they try not to lose my files as it had been over three months since I backed them up. Again... me.. cookie...

Can't have your computer till next Wed/Thurs
Don't worry about your files, it's just the monitor
Is it still under warranty???

I can handle point one, I needed the break
Point two, whew
Point three... eeeeeeeeeeee

My chest tightened up... before I could speak I asked when I bought it, I said Feb. The guy said you should be ok, and checked in my computer. But, but... the guy I bought it from told me 3 month warranty

Well, either I wasn't listening or the 18 year old who sold it to me was stoned. It's 1 year parts and labour, 3 months software. I was so relieved I did the happy dance.

Until I called today to see when I could get my iBook back. 'Um.... they are still testing it... not for a few more days.'

I almost cried. I can't take two more days, I am so far behind on my writing, zines and website... two more days.

An hour later I got another call. Your iBook is ready for pick up. Part two of the happy dance and guess who is buying the extended two year warranty! That's right me! Not to mention I will NEVER go three months again without backing up my files.

So... back to it tonight... and guess who won't be leaving her office for the entire weekend... again if you guessed me, you win!

xo c

No comments: