Tuesday, August 01, 2006

check out the puddle...

the puddle

there is a puddle on the floor
that puddle use to me
what started as a wet forehead, upper lip, back, and neck
soon dripped away

drip
drip
drip
splat

it started out small
meager
unnoticed
then the spot started to grow

as time went on
that spot grew
larger, wetter
the drip turned to a steady stream

no working air conditioner I cursed
blasted the box that wouldn't produce
cold, refreshing
air

like a broken tap
the running sweat continued
to form a large puddle
at my feet

drip
drip
drip
till there is no more

there is a puddle on the floor
that puddle use to me
my panting dogs, thirsty
have lapped me up

``
I just couldn't help myself. All day I dreaded leaving my semi-air conditioned office building. All day I dreaded coming home to a 90 year old house that is also a working oven. Since Friday I have had a mild migraine, for three days I haven't been able to sleep. Since this heat wave started I have been cursing the fact that the house I bought, the house with the added bonus of central air is so stifling hot. I cursed that the metal box couldn't be turned on due to the fear that it would burn out it's motor and ruin my furnace.

I'm stubborn, ask anyone who knows me, cranky and sweaty and nauseous I decided to give the AC a try. I turned it on and it made the same wretched noise it did the one and only time I turned it on last year. It vibrated, screeched and shut itself off.... I cursed... turned it off and went about my business... the business of sweating that is. Then I said 'Fuck it! Let me play with the breakers and try it again. Guess what... it worked and now it is purring like a kitten!!! and the house is slowly cooling down. I have all the fans on in the bedrooms in hopes of cooling them down enough that I can turn the AC off when we go to bed.

Tomorrow is another day!

c

No comments: