Thursday, July 20, 2006

Canadian Podcasters

Now that we are adding podcasting to our website I have become very curious as to what else is out there. I am facinated by the things you can do with a podcast. You can create a radio show, a spoken word event, read poetry, teach a class, tell people how to knit or just do something wacky. There are podcasts for absolutely everything. You want to hear about it, there is a podcast for it, every topic known to man has been covered and of course where there are podcasts, there are directories listing them.

I was curious to see how many Canadian podcasts might be out there and trust me I wasn’t disappointed. One of the best directories is a directory created by the Rogic Podcast Conglomerate. Of the sites listed in there directory Librivox really jumped out at me. This website has many free audio books. There is a nice selection of classics and poetry. I was excited to see The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson. The deeper you dig into this website you will find listings for audiolit projects, literary podcasts and literary blogs. This is a great way to spend a rainy day!

Another outstanding site listed is called Book Ninja. This website is a wealth of information on literary news and opinion. It even has a section with a regular comic. Bravo to the creators and editors for showing the literary side of Canada.

Then there is my favourite on the list. Although not a Canadian site, how can you go wrong with a name like Book Slut. This site consists of interviews and reviews.

Ok, now back to Canadian podcasts. The Closet Geek Show. Don’t let the name fool you. This is an amazing music podcast hosted by Brent Morris. This is just one of thousands of music podcasts out there. There are also just as many weird, quirky and in your face ones such as The Psychotic Hour, The Screaming Halibut and let’s not forget Rabble.ca.

We can’t forget our news and television podcasts. CBC has one and of course almost every newspaper does as well.

Now before you go nuts and start downloading podcasts like crazy. I do have a word of warning. They aren’t all as amazing as the ones I have mentioned. I came a cross a few that were beyond awful. So bad that after a few minutes of listening I unsubscribed and for me to do that, they had to be pretty bad.

Happy Podcasting!

1 comment:

protogenes said...

From The Psychotic Hour to you: a big hug and a gift sheep.

Enjoy!